Sunday, March 3, 2013

Know When to Walk Away

Have you ever felt like you needed to explain something again? To help someone by giving your expertise...again? And all to no avail, because you both know that he/she won't listen and will do whatever it is that they want to anyway? Or have you ever felt the need to repeat yourself just one more time, because you know that person doesn't "remember" what you said? Well, being the giving person that I am, I have the perfect illustration of what you need to do:




WALK AWAY. Personally, this is something that is a work in progress. I'm the type to forgive and forgive and forgive before I act or deliver the consequence of walking away from the situation. You can't reward bad behavior. If you allow someone to consistently misuse or mistreat you, it becomes your fault because you let it continue.

There are people who take complete advantage of those who are kindhearted and compassionate. We know that they'll always be there, ready to forgive and move on, just for the sake of having them in your life. But what they fail to realize is that no one likes the feeling of ill-treatment. Yes, you may get away with it once or maybe even multiple times. Just know that your selfish ways have a limit.

I'm the type of person to state how I feel at the beginning of any type of relationship that I have. It's not a warning, but more of a statement of what I will and will not tolerate.Yes there have been people that have used my niceness against me, because I'm a very caring person. It gets old. Maybe I put too much faith in the capabilities of an adult brain because I expect you to remember. But once I've reached my limit, I walked away. No fuss, no arguments, no long drawn out, drama-filled episode. I made my peace with the situation and simply walked away. You can't hear or comprehend what I've said just shows me that I've wasted my time.

Some may say, "Well Christa, the Bible says to forgive." I absolutely agree. However, I don't believe in being a doormat. You don't have to curse that person out; you don't have to retaliate and bestow revenge. It may be temporarily satisfying, but ultimately, you're better than lowering yourself to their level. Who wants to feel regret and shame when all you had to do was walk away?

This applies to your family as well. I've heard countless stories of others who say that their family member(s) are verbally/emotionally abusive, selfish, and manipulative. I have my own stories. But you still have to remove yourself from that situation, if only temporarily, to teach that person a lesson. Sometimes, temporary turns into forever. And to be honest, I'm okay with sacrificing a toxic relationship for my own happiness.

You have to teach people how you want to be treated. Some don't listen and will forget your words, so it is your duty to remind them that your feelings aren't something to be played with or taken lightly. If they continue to mistreat you, walk away. After awhile, those people try to act like they don't know what they did or make you feel bad for walking away. Those are the type who don't accept responsibility for their actions. It's a shame the games some adults play, but you've got to let them play those games alone.

My advice to all of you reading is to examine the relationships in your life. All of them, no matter how many or few, should be healthy. If it isn't, walk away. It's the one of the most freeing things I've ever done in my life and will continue to do so in order to live in a mind state of tranquility.

Thanks for reading my loves! PEACE.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post. My song "Jazz Life" says "The friends that walked away from you were never needed/an early chapter of your life, don't go back and read it". This is somewhat different from your post, meaning sometimes I have to be the one walking away. Similar in action as to not going back to that Chapter in your life and revisiting that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in all, it is related because what you're talking about is what happens while you're reflecting on that situation AFTER you've walked away. There's a lesson in every experience that you go through.

      As usual, thank you for reading Bronal! You should include the link for your music so we can hear what you're speaking about!

      Delete
  2. How do people live their lives KNOWING they are toxic, and as a result they lose friends and wonderful opportunities in the process? That is not ok. How many times to you have to hear someone tell you about yourself before you listen? I know I'm not perfect and I have a lot to learn, but I have learned how to keep healthy relationships and listen. I wish others would do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are hardheaded. And some are a glutton for punishment. I think it's because they aren't happy with themselves. How you treat others is A DIRECT REFLECTION OF HOW YOU TREAT YOURSELF. They don't love or think highly of themselves enough to give that same consideration to another person. It all begins within.

      Delete
  3. No doubt: I love your blog. Great material! Here is the link to my album its FREE. brong.bandcamp.com.

    ReplyDelete