Thursday, December 20, 2012

It Takes A Village!

 
      I wasn't sure how to approach this post, seeing as how it's very difficult to write about a massacre. But I just wanted to share a few thoughts. First and foremost, my heart goes out to the families and friends who lost loved ones at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut. It boggles the sane mind that there are people who commit these heinous acts against people, or in this case, innocent babies. I can't imagine what the victims have experienced. I wish them comfort, peace, and a healthy time of grieving.


    Now, as a teacher, I know that there wouldn't be a moment's hesitation that I wouldn't protect the lives of my babies (students). When you spend 8+ hours in the classroom 5 days a week, there is an emotional bond formed between a teacher and his/her students. We become that child's substitute guardian, teaching them not only the educational fundamentals, but life principles. A lot of trust is put into the hands of a teacher, whether you realize it or not. And a teacher's job extends beyond being a daily babysitter (which a completely ignorant but often heard comment) & giving homework.

    There are some teachers in this great nation who go to work with the thought that someone could possibly bring a gun to school and harm or even possibly end their lives. No matter the gun control laws, it isn't hard to gain access to a gun. As daunting as that is, it's also the truth. While these laws are a very important issue, I believe that parenting is what needs to be at primal focus. No, I'm not a parent, but as a teacher, I refuse to  silence my opinions, because it does matter.

   I see a lot. I see a lot of brushing under the rug type of behavior from parents. I've seen a few cases of denial. Overall, it hurts because what should be the main objective of both teacher and parent is the well being of the student. I believe that there are always signs. Sometimes, they're immediately noticeable and sometimes it can take days, months, or years to be revealed. It's my fervent hope that parents and teachers keep their eyes open so that disabilities and illnesses can be treated, in hopes of preventing violent acts against themselves or others. We owe it to the next generation to help them into adulthood with as much guidance as possible. If you think each child is the same, you're wrong. A child has it's own unique personality, characteristics, and mannerisms, meaning that each child must be catered to differently, with the main objective still being one of happiness & success for that child's upbringing and emerging into the world.

  So let's not ignore our children. They come into this world and are affected by EVERYTHING that we say and do. Let's give them the opportunity to be great people, who are taught that tough situations must be dealt with accordingly and that every action results in either a consequence or reward. And regardless of this new "Every man for himself" motto when it comes to raising children, it DOES take a village to raise a child. Let us lovingly and wholeheartedly invest in the next generation. Their future depends upon it.

5 comments:

  1. I was so moved by this blog that I forwarded it to my Uncle who will be teaching in Charlottesville soon. I only pray that my son will have a teacher as dedicated to the development and well being of not just my own child, but his neighbor; you truly are blessed to be able to recognize your gift and to accept such a huge responsibility. You are a teacher of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Rach, thank you so very much! It means a lot to hear those kind words from you!! You are your child's first AND most IMPORTANT teacher, never forget that. He is and will be a reflection of you and I know you'll raise him to be the best man that he can be! Love you!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic Christa!
    As a former early childhood teacher and now an elementary school teacher, I have always had a special bond with my students. At times there is even a maternal instinct that kicks into gear when I feel they need to be protected. I am a teacher that teaches educational AND life lesson in my classroom. It starts with us; early educators on up to college professors.
    It does take a village to raise a child and if more adults took on that attitude we would have happier children, safer environments and proper treatment if mental issues arise.
    Keep it going Christa- we need more educators that care about the future of our little ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steph!

      Like you said, there's much more to teach a child than what's in the books; life values and principles must be included! It takes a village because everyone has something to offer to make that child a well-rounded person.

      Having worked with you, I know that you're a wonderful teacher who cares about her students. Although it can get rough, continue to fight the good fight! Our students are depending on us!

      Thanks for reading :-D

      Delete
    2. Not much I can say about this one! Coming from the heart of a teacher such as yourself, this was class for me. Thank you for allowing me to attend your class. Great stuff!

      Delete