Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lightskin vs. Darkskin: Who Cares??

     I was going to begin this post with some long, drawn-out, violin-worthy story about how I've been affected by intraracial discrimination by females in the black community. But I decided not to share it. Why?
It doesn't matter. I don't allow it to matter anymore. I'm very comfortable in my skin because I've released that burden.  I wish black females were more comfortable in their own. "Teamlightskin" & "Teamdarkskin" is absolutely ridiculous. Intraracial discrimination is ridiculous. The act of hating someone because they don't look like you is RIDICULOUS. Your insecurity screams so loudly when you say, "She's cute for a darkskin girl" or "He only likes her because she's lightskin". If you think these thoughts, you're ignorant. Not only are you ignorant, you're choosing to be unhappy!! How unattractive!

     Why are you worried about what the next chick looks like? What does claiming a side on "TEAMLIGHTSKIN" or "TEAMDARKSKIN" do for you? NOTHING. You're wasting your time arguing about who's better, who's in, who's not. It doesn't matter. You're making vain attempts to boast your self-esteem. Putting someone down to build yourself up never works. The time and energy spent on tearing someone down about something that neither they nor you could change could be used to improve yourself. But we never allow ourselves to think further than our hate to find a solution, do we?

     Think about it: who taught you that one shade of black was superior to the other? Was it your mom? Your significant other? Classmates? What caused you to lump everyone with a lighter or darker complexion into the "I hate them" category? I know some girls who have had a boyfriend tell them that a lighter complexion is better. It destroyed their self-esteem, causing them to seek out men of a lighter complexion, with hopes of birthing children with "good hair" or mixed complexions.Or on the reverse side, I've known light skin women who seek out dark skin men, with hopes of proving to someone that they don't think that they're better. Everyone has had an experience that has shaped their thinking but what I'm encouraging you to do is to break yourself out of that box. You have the power to stop thinking in a way that is detrimental to living a happier life. Find the source of your pain, confront it, overcome it, and move on. It's easier said than done but that's he case with almost everything in life. Open your eyes and your mind.  After all, how could you dislike someone who was created in God's own image? 

As always, thank you so much for reading. Please share your thoughts! Peace!!! 




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for addressing the topic that everyone is just so sensitive about. Who sits around and has a conversation about their complexion or someone else's? Lame to the max. I love me and so does God. Be beautiful in your own way and find what makes YOU unique because your skin complexion sure isn't it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I wish more people were willing to discuss this topic! It really is sad that certain things exist because we refuse to confront it.

      Delete
  2. This has neeever made any sense to me. Skin discrimination! As ignorant as racial discrimination is, this may be worse Christa. Think about this Chris: you have probably dealt with someone saying, "I don't like light skin guys/girls" or "I don't like dark skin guys/girls". So in other words, you would not give that person a chance because they are not the right "shade" for you. However, if that person is seen dating a person of a different nationality or culture, then the one that would not have given that person a chance in the first place turns their nose up at it! How ignorant is that? "After all, how could you dislike someone who was created in God's own image?" Dope! I will sum it up like this: "And has made of one blood all nations of men to dwell on all the face of the earth". (Acts 17:26) Dark skin...light skin...I love you all...lolol: I don't discriminate! Shooot, that just gives me more options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mental shackles of slavery outlasted the physical shackles. Self-hatred is real and failure to address it leads to ignorant mess like you mentioned.

    Ang

    ReplyDelete