Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cultural Diversions





If you haven't already noticed, these are some of the messages that media is giving us:

  •  It's okay to be the side chick, just as long as you're getting money/services in return (Love & Hip Hop: ATL).
  • Looking like a bag of money is a compliment; thanks Rick Ross!
  • Public fighting is legitimate and acceptable, anytime, any place, and for any reason (Basketball Wives, Real Housewives, Bad Girls Club).
  • The world is not over if you're 16 & Pregnant. Matter of fact, you can be on MTV! 
  • Your stance on homosexuality and Christianity can be determined whether or not you order a spicy chicken combo with a sweet tea/lemonade mix at Chick Fil-A.
  • Being divorced from a Hollywood star has it's silver lining (Hollywood Exes).   
  • Don't stop pop that *you know what*, show him what you're twerkin' wit! In the club! Immediately! He's got a benz and racks on racks on racks girl :-)
  • Waiting in line for sneakers that have already been released is what you need in your life, so make sure you have your $150+ ready!
  • Make sure your mom sells your sex tape and capitalizes on it so that you can build a household name and remain relevant in today's society. Go 'head Kris Jenner, make that money!!

Need I go on?  All of the aforementioned things probably won't matter next year because we would have moved on to something that's seemingly funnier, popular, and more entertaining. At what point do we stop and think about what the media is feeding us? It's hard to turn off the negativity disguised as entertainment but we've got to start somewhere, if not for us, but for the next generation. Don't be the monkey that does as it sees. Turn off the coonery and cultivate your mind. I dare you! 

3 comments:

  1. I dare you!! :) I think it all depends on how you grew up and what values were upheld in your household. Some parents give their children freedom to do whatever, watch whatever, hang out with every kid in the neighborhood...blah blah blah. Some parents structure their household in way that makes their children comfortable with restrictions - providing them with productive options without making the child feel as if they're missing out on something. Good parents take on the latter & believe stimulating their child's life is a responsibility, not an option. I bet you half of the executives, producers, writers, and so on of these shows wouldn't DARE let their children watch that trash. I am now watching the Cosby Show to end my night with a wholesome tv show...which we all know is rare these days :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always begins at home. The things I see with this generation's kids make me want to never purchase cable or turn on the radio; why is it that a child's innocence seems to be a rarity these days? My kids will be on lock down (no San Quentin though).

      Delete
  2. This is so ironic. Without getting deep, I just watched a 50 minute interview where Professor Griff was talking about the Illuminati and connecting the dots of music, the media, internet, etc. There was some things I disagreed with home on, but it is very hard to deny the fact that all of these mediums are dumbed down with bafoonery influenced writing, lyrics, and presentation with one main goal in mind: the influence on our younger generations! There are things I may not be able to control, however, I can control what goes on in my own home, who I choose to connect with, and how I speak in the presence of those around me; will I speak words of uneducated ignorance, or, will I speak words of knowledge and education.

    Great stuff as usual Christa!

    ReplyDelete