Friday, November 1, 2013

Natural Remedies vs. Prescription Drugs

It's fall! What an absolutely beautiful time of the year it is! But those of us who suffer from seasonal allergies have already begun to experience allergy, sinus, and/or asthma issues. I suffer from both asthma and allergies, which go hand in hand. Luckily, I've found remedies to subdue the symptoms. And guess where I found them?

The health food store!!!

I've had allergies and asthma (which can be triggered by each other) since the age of 9. I'm not sure what provoked it, but one day it came and never left. I'd hoped that I would outgrow it as many others have but I didn't. So I began to get prescriptions from my family doctor. And as the years went by, I grew dependent on them.

I was tired of having to incessantly take these medicines. Not only did I hate taking them every day, only to have the wonderful effects wear off after a few hours, I disliked not seeing any positive long term results. So one day, a friend referred me to the local health food store. A light bulb immediately went on, and I remembered all of the trips to the health food store with my dad, who brought my siblings and me there to get vitamins, natural pills, etc. After having a very lengthy conversation with the sales clerk, I purchased Aller-Pure.

The next morning, I woke up with clearer eyes, a less runny nose, and no breathing difficulties. And for someone whose allergies/asthma are worse in the colder months of the year, this was a win! Do I still have symptoms? Yes! I've been coping with allergies and asthma for so long, it's crazy that I sometimes forget to prepare my body for the weather changes.

The older I've gotten, the more I realize how much I don't like prescription drugs. And the more research I've done and questions I've asked, I've discovered that they aren't beneficial to my body.



Let's explore a brief breakdown of prescription drugs:

  1. They're pills that have chemicals, which make your symptoms go away for a limited time and trick your body into thinking that the problem(s) have been fixed.
  2. You can become dependent on them! If you have mental issues and have seen a doctor, you may have been prescribed some type of pill that'll subdue a chemical imbalance BUT won't cure your issue. And because you want to feel better, you'll start to take more and more, which can become drug abuse. That's alarming!
  3. The side effects are plenty. I know you've seen a commercial for a drug that treats depression...has anyone ever noticed how the announcer reads off a long list? Diarrhea, headaches, decreased sex drive, insomnia, tremors, weight gain, anxiety, suicidal thoughts/behaviors, etc.....that's too many! I'm not a doctor or licensed psychologist but I do know that prescribing a drug that does more harm than good makes zero sense, unless we're talking economic gain by the pharmaceutical industry (that raked in $85 billion) instead of truly helping someone recover from that particular ailment or illness 
  4. There are some drugs that contain animal hormones, which can cause different types of cancer and other ailments because....animal hormones aren't natural and healthful for the body.
  5. Death from prescription drug overdose/abuse is one of the leading causes of death in the United States and Canada. What more needs to be said?!
Now, let's explore natural and herbal remedies:

  1. These remedies come from living plants and they taste as such. 
  2. There are no chemicals involved, so there are no hormonal changes or chemical level brain alterations.
  3. They have effectively helped to cure illnesses and diseases since the beginning of time!
  4. Most of these remedies can be found in your local food store, health food store, farmer's market, etc. You wouldn't have to wait a week or more to see your doctor! 
  5. They are cheaper!!


As I've previously stated, I'm not a doctor. I'm just a person who's realized that most of my prescription drugs have stopped working for me. I didn't want to depend on something that doesn't work for me and will negatively affect my physical and mental health. I don't want to shorten my lifespan because of the prescription drugs that I willingly took without questioning what I was feeding my body. And I definitely don't want to support a corrupt industry whose sole intent is become richer by preying on the sick!!!

So if you are taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs, I encourage you to do two things: 1) Look up the drug you're taking here and read its side effects and 2) Find a naturally healthier alternative. Do your research! Locate your local health food store and ask questions! You have nothing to lose and a healthier lifestyle to gain!! 







Do you use natural remedies? If so, what are they? Any comments and questions, feel free to share below in the comment section! Thanks for reading!!





2 comments:

  1. This is a great post Christa! I too use natural products & it truly makes a difference. I love educating & helping others detox their homes & bodies. People feel so much better without chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      You are absolutely right; I've been feeling much better, not only physically, but mentally as well. I'm very excited about incorporating more natural remedies into my every day routine.

      Thank you for reading!!!

      Delete