Saturday, June 30, 2012

First things first...

Hello everyone! This blog has been a long time coming...and by that I mean that I've finally stopped being lazy and committed to accomplishing a goal on my list of "Things I Really Want To Do". Now that I'm at the ripe old age of 25, I've placed a burden upon myself to accomplish a plethora of things, this being one. But writing is what I do, what I've done since I could hold a pencil. And I'm happy to have the gumption to want to publically share my thoughts. Now, let's get started!

Instagram is down y'all. People are losing it.
My timeline on both Facebook and Twitter have been full of whining and complaining because these losers can't post pics like this:


LOL I am DEAD, because it's so true! Instagram is full of pictures of "Look at what I just bought!" or "I puts  it down in the kitchen" and it's a picture of your hamburger helper, salad in a bag, and koolaid. Chicks are posting pics of their drawn on eyebrows, arm candy, and manicure of the week. Dudes post pics of their KOTD (kicks of the day), latest haircut, and the classic sweaty post gym workout...which sometimes, I do enjoy on occasion lol. The thirst is real on Instagram and if that's your cup of tea, I suggest you join and start sippin'.

But the underlying issue here is how dependent we have become on social networks. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I reach for is my phone to check my Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I waste about 15 minutes in the bed every morning, looking at mindless things. But why don't I wait? Because I don't want to miss anything. I want to be kept in the loop of foolery. That's what's on these sites nowadays along with cartoon pictures with hilarious captions & drama-filled, attention wanting statuses/posts. I recognize this but I want to see each and every one; that's why I haven't deleted any of those accounts. I can't even sit and eat without using my fork in one hand and phone/laptop with the other. When I go out, I unconsciously pull out my phone and start scrolling. When I get bored with that, I look up and notice the same people with their head down, pointer finger poised to scroll. We are a plugged in generation. I openly hate it.

Then I try to reason with myself, saying that if I wasn't connected with these networks, I wouldn't know this or that. The truth of the matter is that I would know, not immediately but eventually. When it's all said and done, I've never been concerned with how fast I got the information, but that I got it. And the information floating around isn't important at all. I could care less about the latest J's, everybody's current favorite rapper (because you know he won't be hot next year), or 2012's summer trends. What people my age are concerned about are materialistic & we didn't grow up this way. We spent our summers on bicycles, swimming, reading, etc. We had the Nintendos, and XBox's but our parents allowed us use them in moderation. We were kicked out of the house to go play outside. Am I wrong to be completely apprehensive about how the next generation is going to be even more dependent on technology?

 I say no. There's nothing wrong with keeping up with technology but limit how much you spend on your computer/phone. I think of the opportunities I missed because I was too busy being bored on my phone. And I always vow to do better, to put my phone away when I'm out with my friends, to get out and read a paper book...do you know that someone actually asked me why I didn't have a Kindle or Nook. I'm sure her confused look matched my own confused look. Technology can not replace the feeling of curling up outside on a blanket with a book. Technology can not replace the inside jokes my friends and I randomly laugh about while in each other's company. And it definitely can not replace the experiences created without being glued to a screen. Who wants to look back in 10 years and realize that you missed most of it addicted to the net? Not I. Stop wasting all of your time, get out, and enjoy life! I know it's easier said than done but...who doesn't enjoy a challenge?

Peace loves. Until next time :-)


4 comments:

  1. So true Christa! I shake my head at myself when I wake up and reach for mine. Hard addiction to quit. Great post, can't wait to read the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that there are people who recognize that it is an addiction. Thanks for reading Esther. I'll be tuned in to your blog as well :-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new blog Christa and I concur! To begin with, I love the feeling of actual books in my hand, seeing those pages whiz by with a sense of accomplishment at the end of it all...ahh. Haha...thats true about being out, getting bored, then pulling out the phone afterwards...haha...crazy jo. Finally, we definitely need to encourage our young people towards a degree of moderation in regards to technology. The most creative minds, in my opinion, will be developed outside of too much time spent in just one area (i.e. technology). Puzzles, books, and creativity can be added and enjoyed alongside technology. Great start to your blog! Cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing, and I do mean nothing will take the place of reading an actual book. The challenge for our youth to be moderate with technology should be shared mostly with the parents; it always begins at home. I think you've given me an idea for a future blog. Thanks for reading Bronal!

    ReplyDelete