Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ask Christa: The One thing I'd Change about Myself


"What's one thing that you would change about yourself and why?


Geez, just one?!
 If I were to pick only one thing to change about myself, it would be my knack for being too observant. .

My mother said that I've been that way since childhood. She said I wouldn't even take a nap in fear of missing something haha. I regret all of those missed naps now.

I didn't want to be a know-it-all, just aware of my surroundings and people as to not be caught off-guard.

And being caught off-guard is a feeling that I continue to loathe but I realized one of the reasons why I'm so observant: it was/is a coping mechanism to get the focus off of the problems in my own life. By pinpointing someone else's flaws, I would somewhat ignore my own.

Crazy right?

I've often made the comment that people should worry about themselves instead of others. I definitely should've been taking my own advice.

It took awhile to notice this about myself. And when I did, I was astonished. How can an observant person be the opposite in their own lives?

Nowadays, I've learned to relax more, consistently work on self-improvement, and let some things go. It can be mentally stressful to want to always be in the know but I'm a work in progress.

I still notice a lot; it's just who I am. But I'm making sure that I observe myself more than I did in the past and take care of my own needs.

I really do appreciate your question. Writing about my flaws is one of the best methods of therapy for me.

Feel free to comment and share what's the one thing you'd change about yourself. I look forward to reading your thoughts. Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment